Saturday, May 24, 2008

Is it really possible to have a favorite Winery?

I love all kinds of wines from all manners of wineries and winemakers but I am beginning to think that there is one whose wines I consistently enjoy - Scherrer Winery.
http://www.scherrerwinery.com/

Fred and his wife Judi run the winery and a lot of the fruit is sourced from Fred's dad's vineyards. It is worth attending one of their Open Houses to meet the family (incredibly nice, down to earth people), to taste some of their new releases, and to enjoy the very tasty food made by Mark Maliki of Cafe St. Rose.
http://cafesaintrose.blogspot.com/

A couple of nights ago, we had a 2001 Scherrer OAM (Old and Mature Vines) Zin with a Pork chops marinated in soy sauce, hot sauce, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, grainy mustard, EVOO, salt and pepper. Next time, I'll have to add some honey for sweetness as well. The wine was smooth and silky with a tiny bit of red fruit -- just perfect. When most 2001 Zins are well on their way to becoming vinegar, Fred's (as in Fred Scherrer, the owner/winemaker at Scherrer Winery) zin is just perfect, at least for my palate. It might be too smooth for some who prefer the big California fruit bombs (and don't get me wrong, I'm a card carrying member of that group too) or the spicyness of Zins, but for me, this is as good as it gets. Every time I drink it, I find myself saying "This is why I drink wine"!

No comments: